Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Memories of California....




Telling me the truth it's the end of another year,
Chilly grey cold winter is slowly  peeping.
Recalling me the time we spent together
Can you remember our lovely roses withering

I planted curry leaf seeds on wet papers,
They sprouted happily feeling the summer warmth,
I looked after them; when they were little kids,
Placing the pots to face the sun on the window pane.

You told me  they are now young adult boys!
And help you to prepare your delicious meals,
But how is that orange kid ; your baba's favorite?
He and I decided  together to plant it in that place...

Rainbow colors;colors of the backyard flowers,
Birds that built nests but failed rearing their kids,
Locusts hiding in bushes and ate my chili leaves,
I could  feel, the soft wings of yellow butterflies.

More than grass in the lawn, were Portulaca plants,
One by one I uprooted them before the sun rise
Without saying good bye after the winter had arrived,
Suddenly all of them disappeared;What a surprise?

It was a cold grey early morning  in December,
You surprised me showing grass in the park.
All over there was a carpet of tiny snowflakes,
And it's a rare thing to see snow in Bakersfield.

Sunflowers started to wither giving so many seeds,
I collected and collected them in empty yogurt bins,
If you search in the corners of your pantry cupboards,
You'll find them playing peekaboo in the safe proper place.

My garden here is empty now, no flowers to bloom,
No fruits on the trees and no birds to be seen,
Nightingales rarely sing in the sweet dreams,
The sun rises in the mornings and sets in the evenings.

2 comments:

  1. Winter is pleasant in certain aspects, but becomes cruel for some living species!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. Yes,of course, human beings also suffer in some places of the world during winter.

    ReplyDelete